Sunday, March 7, 2010

Still alive out there?

So all the cool kids appear to be blogging again, and I am nothing if not a wannabe cool kid. So let's see ...

As usual, I haven't been blogging not because there is nothing to say, but because life moves so quickly these days and when I finally get a chance to stop and take a breath it feels like I've blinked and two months have gone by. So how has 2010 been shaping up so far? I guess the biggest change is that as previously mentioned Serdic has quit his job and gone back to school full time. So far we are coping pretty well on one income with not much adjusting -- there's a little less left over in the bank account at the end of the month, but we're not suffering too much (knock on wood).

We have been making a real attempt to rein in the spending in one area specifically -- we are not eating out very often and making a real attempt to make a weekly meal plan and stick to it. A lot of the time when we ate out or got take out before it was a "so what do you want to do about supper?" "oh, I don't feel like cooking, what do you want?" "let's just get Swiss Chalet" kind of exchange, and now we are challenging ourselves to stick to the meal plan. So far we are doing pretty well, I have to say. Part of that challenge is that I'm taking on more of the responsibility for cooking -- Serdic is such a good cook and I enjoy the food he prepares so much, so it was easy for me to get in the habit of just letting him take care of all the meal prep in our house, and get take out if he didn't want to cook. I have never been an adventurous or gifted cook (I would term myself "adequate" or perhaps "competent") but having been with Serdic for just over three years now (can it be?) I have broadened my horizons quite a bit and discovered a new enjoyment in being in the kitchen. I'm branching out a little bit, exploring some new ingredients and cooking styles, and I have to say that I'm pleased with the results. Serdic isn't complaining, either -- or at least I'm taking the nights he licks his plate clean as a good sign.

In other news, the belt hasn't been tightened all that much, as I will shortly be winging my way across the Atlantic for one last visit with PetDoc and Noise before they leave London for good in June. It's hard to believe that their two years are almost up, but I have to admit that I am thrilled they are coming home ... although losing the free place to stay in London is too bad! (I can't really complain, I have after all been to visit them three times in two years!) But having them home again with us will be even better. I'm really looking forward to this trip as I've done most of the really touristy things in London I want to do, so this time I can just relax and explore a little bit and, most importantly, spend some quality time with two of my favourite people in the world.

So that's a quick update on how things are going at Casa Double S. Life is grand, spring has sprung (knock on wood), and there are lots of good things to look forward to in the next few months. I'll try to keep more on top of the blog as the good things happen.

No comments: