Monday, March 3, 2008

March Madness

A variety of tidbits for your reading pleasure on this fine Monday morning.

White Witch is Pissing Me Off



I keep thinking of dear Mr. Tumnus in The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe, when he describes conditions in Narnia as "Always winter, never Christmas." We did have Christmas this year, yes, but it feels like it was at least three years ago. I am so tired of winter. There's been snow on the ground since mid-freaking-November, people. It has snowed and/or freezing rained (yes, I know that's not technically a word) nearly every day since. I think I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of days it hasn't snowed since November. It really starts to weigh you down after awhile. I feel like I don't know what it's like to live in our apartment in any other season -- we were only in a few weeks when it started to snow. I want to sit on our little back porch and enjoy my Saturday morning coffee. I want to be able to pull out of our driveway without having to peer around the snowbanks. I want my commute to be straightforward and take the expected 45 minutes, instead of the hour and a half I'm currently averaging. I want to be able to just pull on a jacket and go, instead of having to spend five minutes deciding which coat I need based on the forecast and then tracking down and layering on gloves, hats, scarves, etc.

I know I'm whining, and it's no more than everyone else in this part of the world has to deal with right now, but enough already, Mother Nature. Go pick on a different part of the world for awhile. I know we Ottawa-ians pride ourselves on not complaining about the weather (unlike other cities; yes, I'm looking at you, Toronto) but seriously, enough is enough. Time to overthrow the White Witch and get on with spring. Where's Aslan when you need him?

Fun with Gadgets

Joined the 21st century this weekend and got me a cell phone. I have resisted having one, for a couple of reasons, mostly because I didn't feel it was necessary and I had other monthly expenses that had to be higher priority. I've always said that I have a phone at home, and I have a phone at work, and if I'm not at home or at work I'm probably out doing something fun and don't want to talk to you anyway. Now that things are very different for me financially (love that "dual income household" thing!) and I can handle the expense better, and I have someone I need to check in with from time to time, including sometimes when I'm running late and not at home/work (see above about my stupid commute these days), and I'm doing more driving, including on the highway, and might need to be able to call for help, etc. etc. etc. ... I just decided it was time. Plus, you know, shiny! And fun! And something new to play with! Serdic is already regretting my decision, as I have texted him approximately 862 times since this time yesterday. I still intend for this to be very much for *my* convenience, and I won't be giving the number out to a lot of people as I do not intend to be one of those people who is constantly texting/on the phone, but it is nice to know it's there if I need/want it. Plus, you know, shiny! (Did I say that already?)

Sing Out

The concert went quite well Friday night. We were pleased. I have to admit that fifteen minutes before show time I was a little nervous, as getting three choirs, two soloists (one of whom was double booked and wouldn't be there until about twenty minutes after the concert started!), guest percussionists and more all organized did not go without any hiccups. But once the show started and we actually got to perform everything went smoothly. The audience seemed to enjoy it, at any rate. And I had the great ... ah ... pleasure of seeing my pasty white face and six chins on tv as part of CJOH's coverage. Great that we got the publicity, not so great that the world had to see that. Seeing yourself on video is always a humbling experience, no? But the music was great.

No comments: